Thursday, February 11, 2010

Big Dreams.

For a long time I dreamed of opening my own bakery.  Considered getting an associate's degree in Baking/Pastry Arts from the New England Culinary Institute in Vermont.  Thought up fun and creative names. Imagined what it would look like. And dreamed of coming home from a long days work smelling of brown sugar and vanilla.  At some point though, between the harsh reality of the $40,000/year to go to NECI and being scared to do something "different"...I convinced myself that I could not do this. I made up hundreds of reasons why this dream of mine was impractical. I was scared of failure. Scared of wasting thousands of dollars, and years of my life.
Thankfully though, I have been blessed with a man who isn't afraid to dream. He helped me realize that trying something and failing is better than not trying at all.  That I shouldn't let fear hold me back from something that could not only bring me happiness, but possibly bring my children, and their children happiness as well.

For now I'm just going to focus on graduating with my degree in Elementary Education. Along the way I'll probably take a business course here and there. And hopefully sign up for local Wilton cake decorating classes! After graduation I'll teach until I've paid off all my student debt (which shouldn't take long as the Army is paying back all of DF's student debt, and any of mine that I accumulate after we get married) and have the ability/resources to create a successful bakery.  I'd also like to try my hand at owning rental property(s), but I have yet to convince DF of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment